~ The American Dream in 2011 is finding the sublime in everyday. Like taking a stroll at dusk through your neighborhood or sipping wine with friends on Friday night. It’s that simple. ~ (Glamour magazine)
I think it’s oddly more acceptable to complain about the trivial things that bother you than it is to take note of special little moments throughout the day. I don’t even know what to call these “simple moments” as there’s no antonym of “pet peeve” in the dictionary (uh-huh, I checked). Until there’s a word that describes those simple things that make you smile, I’ve compiled a list of a few of my favs:
1. When my favorite song is playing on the radio as soon as I start the car.
2. When I find money in my pockets that I had forgotten about.
3. When drivers thank me for letting them pass or turn in front of me.
4. When I untangle a stubbornly knotted necklace.
5. When I receive a random text from an old friend just saying “Hi” or “Thinking of you.”
6. When I climb under covers that have been freshly washed.
7. When the lights first dim at the beginning of a movie.
8. When you catch someone being simply romantic without realizing (hand on the leg, playing with the hair, a lingering smile…)
9. When your pet lays down near you and barely touches you with their paw…
10. When everyone stands at once, silent, for “The Star Spangled Banner!”
~ Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these moments at a time. As we begin to change this moment, we begin to change our lives. ~ (Trinidad Hunt)
What are the little things that make you happy?