Hello my friends! One of my 2012 goals was to cook one new dish a month. My aunt gave my mom a “Cheesy Stuffed Shells” recipes a few years back…and it has been sitting in my recipe book ever since. So I thought – what better than a cheesy stuffed shells pasta dinner the night before my Jackson Day 9K Road Race? There are other versions of this meal – such as meat stuffed shells and mexican stuffed shells…but I will share those with you another time!
CHEESY STUFFED SHELLS
- 1/2 box jumbo shells (you’ll need ~20 shells)
- 1 container cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 jar marinara sauce
1. Cook shells according to package direction. I seasoned the water with salt and some olive oil.
2. While the noodles are cooking, mix together cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, 2 eggs, and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
3. Cover the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with a thin layer of marinara sauce.
4. Once the noodles have cooled off a bit, spoon the cheesy mixture into the cooked shells until full, then lay into the dish. (If you are making ahead of time, cover dish with foil at this point and refrigerate.) Spoon remaining marinara sauce over the stuffed shells, and top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake, loosely covered in foil, in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted. Remove foil and broil for a few minutes until the cheese is golden brown.
I know most people think of a baked pasta dish as messy and time-consuming. But in all honesty, these were pretty easy to make! Added bonus: The spooned mixture just sticks to the shells!
You can make any side that you want…salad, brussel sprouts, steamed veggies, fresh bread, etc.
Hope you enjoy!