Mileage: 103.2 Miles
Strength + Abs: 15 Days
What the Stats Don’t Show
- As most of you know, the hubby and I relocated to Alberta, Canada (from Louisiana, USA) the first week of January. I’m not sure exactly what happened during that first month (besides moving, settling in, fighting the never-ending cold…), but we quickly realized that something needed to change in the fitness department, as I had run a total of 6 miles for January. The first week of February, we signed-up for the Calgary Half Marathon (held June 1st) – and so began our new Calgary fitness journey! I’m thinking it’s going to be tough to reach my 2014 Running Goal of 600 miles – especially with missing the entire month of January! – but I’m a few miles ahead of where I was at this point last year and I ended up with 582 miles…so I’m going to keep trucking along!
January: 6.0 Miles
February: 43.1 Miles
March: 54.1 Miles
- All but 9 runs & 34 Miles have been completed on the
DreadmillTreadmill. With average temperatures below 20* F, and the weather full of snow and/or wind, it has been very difficult to complete outdoor runs. Perhaps coming to a new place in the “middle” of winter did not allow us enough time to adjust to the cold…but our outdoor motivation has been seriously lacking, even with “proper” winter gear. I feel like Calgary is a place that caters to outdoor sports (running, biking, hiking), but we have not yet explored beyond the couple trails that we are quite familiar with. I am hoping that with spring, some of the icy trails will melt and we can explore a bit more!
- I almost signed up for my first race of the year – St. Patty’s Day 10K – but wanted to play it by ear due to the weather. I ended up NOT signing-up for the race that day, but still completed 7 miles on my own.
- Most of the Strength + Abs workouts were from a February Ab Challenge posted by Amanda with Run to the Finish. Monthly challenges are Awesome motivation!
- We also completed 1 Stairs workout in the middle of a run one day. There are 11 platforms, with a total of 167 steps. We ran up, then down, then up, then down again! Can you hear the theme from Rocky?!
- I completed my fastest yet 3-mile training run – 25:52 – which gives me high hopes of finally reaching a sub-25-minute 5K race!
I have my eye on a few smaller races (5Ks, 10Ks, 15Ks) over the next 3 months. The Calgary Half Marathon is June 1st, so I would like to get in a few speed workouts to gauge how my training is progressing. This first quarter has been pretty rough for me since the majority of my running has been indoors on the treadmill. I am sure 90% of the negativity is mental, but I just can’t seem to “go fast” or hit the same paces as when I run outside.
I also want to really focus on core work and strength training. I was aiming for 3 days a week in February – and almost hit the mark – so I believe I can make that committment for the next 3 months!
Now it’s your turn! What has your running been like this year, so far? Do you analyze your runs?? Do you predict BIG THINGS for 2014?!